Wednesday, December 21, 2011

"At Least You Won't Lose Your Hair With This Chemo"

I heard a few times that this Folfox chemo wouldn't make me lose my hair. It was supposed to be one of the upsides of colon cancer, such as they are. Then our GI oncology nurse told me it was more like 50-50 odds, and to come down and have them shave my head if it started coming out in handfuls.

I remember saying a few times that it would not a huge deal if I fell in the wrong 50, it would only be for six months, hair would grow back, etc. But when my hair actually did start coming out yesterday, a few days after treatment #2, I had to retract all that. I do care. It is so creepy. It's like the definition of something going bizarrely unhealthily wrong. And, for the kids, I don't want them to have that shock and that knowledge. I mean, they saw me go into the hospital once before, when the baby was born. They've seen people throw up before, it's not a "weird" thing. I was hoping to shield all of us from the big in-your-face statement that something is really wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment